2011 Newport Review Flash Fiction Contest
Guest Judge: Meg Pokrass
First Prize: "Necrotic," Elise Blackwell
Second Prize: "Group," Iman Carol Fears
Third Prize: "Once We Left Tampa," Sophie Rosenblum
"Lapse," Katherine Davis
"Ash," Matthew Di Paoli
"Home Free," Gary V. Powell
"Miami Cafe," Jeffrey Schneider
$500 in Prizes
All Stories Considered for Publication
Guest Judge: Meg Pokrass, author of Damn Sure Right (Press 53, 2011)
Format: Original, unpublished flash fiction stories, including prose poetry and experimental forms.
Deadline: Opened June 1, 2011, at midnight; Closed October 1, 2011, at 11:59 p.m.
Word Count: Stories up to 1,000 words maximum; no minimum
Entry fee: $8 for one story; 3 for $21
How to Submit: Please submit online using our automated submission manager. Choose "Flash Fiction Contest" as the genre of your entry. You will be prompted to pay before submitting stories.
- Writers may submit a total of six entries.
- The contest is open to all writers ages 13 and above, except writers who have close personal affiliations with Newport Review, its editorial staff, contest judges or advisory board. Past contest winners and those who have been published in past issues of Newport Review are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be notified and posted on our blog and web site.
- As of October 1, 2011, the contest is closed to new submissions. We are now in the process of reading entries. Winners will be announced in our Winter 2011/2012 issue.
- Questions about contest rules (NOT entries) may be addressed to edit (at) newportreview.org.
$500 in prizes, along with publication, will be awarded.
First Prize: $250 and publication in Newport Review
Second Prize: $150 and publication in Newport Review
Third Prize: $100 and publication in Newport Review
Honorable Mention: Publication in Newport Review
Prize-winning stories will be published in the Winter 2012 issue of Newport Review. Other stories may also be considered for publication.
Watch for 2012 contest guidelines and details soon.